Tips on Using Window Cleaning Solution
Window cleaning can be a daunting task. It seems like every time you clean your windows, they get dirty again almost immediately. This is because typical window cleaning solution are designed to remove the easy dirt and grime- the kind that accumulates on the surface of the glass. But what if there’s something more lurking behind that shiny façade?
Window cleaning solutions come in all shapes and sizes, and it can be tricky to determine which one is best for your needs. Some solutions are designed for general use, while others are specific to certain types of windows.
Here are a few tips to help you choose the right window cleaning solution:
- If you have tempered glass, use a different solution than what you would use for regular glass. Tempered glass is extremely susceptible to temperature changes and will shatter if exposed to hot or cold air.
- Be sure your ammonia based cleaner is at least 5% ammonia, as anything less may not be that effective against dirt and grime.
- If you have lead-containing glass, do not use any ammonia based solution on your windows.
- If you plan to clean the exterior of your windows with a pressure washer, be sure to also use a very gentle detergent solution.
- Keep in mind that for some window cleaning solutions, you may need more than one bucket of water depending on how dirty your windows are.
- Always test a small inconspicuous area before applying any window cleaning solution to ensure you do not cause water spotting or streaking. The best way to do this is to place paper towels at the base of each window and apply a few sprays onto the paper towels from about one foot away. Let the cleaner sit for a few minutes. If you notice any discoloration or streaks, it’s possible that the solution may damage your windows so do not use it.
- If you’re in a hurry when cleaning your window panes, fill one bucket with water and one bucket with your preferred cleaning solution. Use a squeegee to wipe the surface clean.
- You can prevent streaking by taking your time when you’re applying the product to your windows.